SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 1 October 2015

Choc Chip, Coffee and Walnut Jumbles (biscuit/cookie -ish!)


I first came across jumbles when flicking through a recipe book, it certainly caught my attention because I love the word. It's just a nice funny word to say isn't it? The use of the word "jumble" to indicate a mixture of stuff means you just 'jumble' all the ingredients into one pan, choose whatever flavour you want and hey presto! You've got yourself a nice biscuit err cookie thingy. I'm not sure what you'd technically class it as because I know Americans can get really fussy when you start calling biscuits - cookies when they clearly AREN'T!! But then again I get cross when they call our version of a scone a biscuit. Now that surely is just wrong. I must say that they do have an almost cookie quality to them in the centre, not chewy but on the verge if you know what I mean. Then on the outer edges they're more biscuity (if that's even a word) and by that I mean a buttery crunchy texture not a soft moist one like a scone! 

Before you go pointing out my errors, these are not to be confused with Leicestershire Bosworth jumbles, a traditional speciality biscuit from Leicestershire in England (for all you biscuit historian fanatics) they are characteristically shaped like an 's' or sometimes knots and flavoured with spices like anise or caraway. 


My jumbles biscuits don't quite hold the regal history of Bosworth Jumbles, or the refined looks either but they are quick and easy to make and are really delicious so that's good enough for me. Especially when I've been short on time these past two weekends (when I usually blog), but I'm determined to stay loyal to my lovely Spoon and Whisk, even if I only manage to get a couple of pics, it's better than nothing! So in my efforts to keep things speedy you will get this recipe and save time on washing up too with only one pan and spoon, perfect to make after college or work like I did. 

Choc  Chip,  Coffee  and  Walnut  Jumbles

Adapted from here   Makes 14


Ingredients:

125g butter
1 tbsp coffee granules or espresso powder
100g caster sugar
50g light brown sugar
175g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
50g chopped walnuts
50g chocolate chips (milk or dark)

Method

Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/ gas 5. Grease 2 large baking trays. Gently melt the butter and when it starts to bubble add in the coffee and stir altogether until most if not all granules have dissolved and the butter turns a brown coffee colour. Remove from the heat and stir in both of the sugars. 

Pour the flour and baking powder into the bowl along with the beaten egg and stir altogether. When thoroughly combined add in the chopped walnuts and mix again. Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture onto the greased trays spacing them well apart for spreading. 

Bake in the preheated for 10 to 12 minutes, until the jumbles are a light golden brown colour and are slightly firm to touch. 

Leave the jumbles to cool on the tray for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Post a Comment