SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 1 February 2015

Go nuts with... my Pistachio and White Chocolate Shortbread Biscuits


Let me direct you to the world of shortbread...there are so many culinary flavour paths that you can wander down - ranging from the incredibly sweet to the indulgent savoury. I came across some hidden and long forgotten pistachios the other day.  And this is why I basically decided upon baking these beauties. 


They were still absolutely fine to use (even though they were out of date - who cares...they still tasted alright!) 

But hold on; I've got a confession to make! I've been slightly (well hugely) addicted to pinterest lately and I couldn't contain myself any longer to bake some cute biscuits. Mainly because of the constant supply of beautifully styled biscuits streaming through my pinterest feed recently. (Needless to say I don't think I need to tell you how many food boards I follow do I?!  I think you can comprehend if you're a fellow food blogger too...this is our life - we eat, live and breathe pinterest for inspirational ideas.) 




Here's a fun fact for you all: pistachios are the most slimming nuts, with less than four calories each. Wooahh! (So don't worry guys...this is a valid reason to not be feeling guilty about eating these biscuits. Let's just forget about the sugar and butter content and solely focus on the good stuff, eh?)



Ingredients:

(makes 18-20 biscuits depending on the size of your cutter)


For the shortbread:
350g plain flour
150g caster sugar
220g butter
50g pistachios
50g white chocolate (roughly chopped into small pieces)
For the topping:
100g white chocolate
20g pistachios

Method

Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas 3/ 300°F. Lightly grease 2 baking trays.

Measure the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips. Finely chop your pistachios for the shortbread dough, into almost a fine powder, you could do this in a food processor or nut/coffee grinder. Add this to the 'breadcrumb' mixture along with the roughly chopped white chocolate and mix. Knead with your hands to bring the mass together. The warmth of your hands will slowly bring it altogether. 

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of about 1cm. Cut out your desired shapes and lay onto the baking trays. 

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until pale golden. Lift onto a wire rack to cool. Melt the white chocolate and then spoon into a small piping bag. Cut a tiny hole in the bag (this should be small enough to create a drizzle effect) and use to pipe criss cross patterns or equally you could do this with a spoon and flick it over the shortbread. Then roughly chop the pistachios for the topping and sprinkle over each biscuit. 


Post a Comment