SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 25 July 2014

Smoked Salmon, Broccoli and Cream Cheese Quiche


I'm very affected by the weather - I wish I wasn't but I am. As soon as it starts heating up outside I really can't be doing with big heavy meals (a.k.a casseroles uughh!)




Therefore this dish represents my mood, and the heart warming food that kept me going through winter can be replaced with new potatoes, salads, fish and of course, quiche!



I love a good quiche!!

Especially now I have my deep 9 inch loose-bottomed tart tin...yep, you heard me- deep for all that tasty filling. Don't you just hate it when the filling overflows and seeps to the depths of ruining that all so important no soggy bottoms here! satisfaction? And then when you finally come to release the base...it won't budge because it's stuck!


Ruined!


That's why I recommend that you do use a deep tin to avoid this disaster. Otherwise- don't pour all the filling in if you know it's gonna overflow (trust your baking instincts, they're in there somewhere...trust me!)


For the pastry I used Lisa Faulkner's short crust recipe from her book 'Recipes from my Mother for my Daughter', because it's easy- all you do is blitz in a food processor. But if you don't have a processor you can still make it by hand (just rub to fine breadcrumbs with your fingers and then stir to mix in water.) The filling is all my own recipe.


This quiche is a classic combination of flavours and matches perfectly with a light summery side salad and a few wedges of zingy lemon. And if you don't like broccoli you could use asparagus in its replacement.



Ingredients (serves 4-6 depending on how greedy you are)

 For the pastry
300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
150g cold butter, cubed
about 2tbsp cold water


For the filling
70g broccoli
150g smoked salmon, sliced into small pieces
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
200g cream cheese
pinch of nutmeg
a squeeze of lemon


Method 


Preheat your oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4/ 350°F. Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) loose bottomed tart tin or alternatively make individual tarts using four 5 inch (12 cm) tart tins.


Make the pastry. Put the flour and butter in a food processor and whiz for about 10 seconds until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Use the pulse button when adding about 2 tbsp of water until the mixture begins to stick together. Take out of the food processor and form a dough. 


Flour the work surface and shape to a flat disc. Roll out to the right size to fill the base and sides of your chosen tart tin. Lightly prick the base with a fork and line with foil or baking paper and then top with baking beans or rice. Bake blind in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Then remove the baking paper and beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. 


Meanwhile, chop the broccoli into tiny florets and cook in boiling water until al dente. 


Turn up your oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6/ 400°F


Mix the cream cheese, eggs, nutmeg and milk together in a bowl. Season and then once the broccoli is cooked, drain and then squeeze over the lemon juice. 


Get your baked tart case and then place half the smoked salmon pieces over the base evenly, then pour over the egg filling. Place the remaining smoked salmon pieces over the tart and then scatter the broccoli florets too. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes but keep an eye on it - cook until slightly golden and firm on top.


Serve warm or cold with a green salad.



2 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about broccoli.Please keep sharing.
    Benefits Of Broccoli Juice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's about time I did a new recipe with broccoli in, it's such an underrated vegetable! Thanks for great feedback

      Delete